P. Thomas Dazzio, Jr.
Mr. Dazzio’s practice primarily involves litigation and commercial transactions including general litigation, personal injury defense, construction litigation, employment related matters, mining and blasting, both large and small business transactions, professional liability, insurance coverage issues and appellate practice. He has litigated cases involving personal injury, construction, employment discrimination and harassment, business torts, blasting, insurance matters, medical malpractice, and worker’s compensation. In addition to litigation, Mr. Dazzio regularly provides counsel to business clients with regard to commercial transactions and risk management, including for one of the nation’s largest manufacturers of explosives and one of the nation’s largest providers of industrial lubricants and services.
Mr. Dazzio also advises clients pertaining to risk management for employment related practices, including discrimination, harassment, wage and hour issues and worker’s compensation, and provides clients with counsel regarding the development of risk prevention policies to avoid litigation and to ensure compliance with federal and state employment regulations.
Mr. Dazzio has successfully litigated cases throughout the State of Alabama, in both federal and state courts. He also regularly practices before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the National Labor Relations Board. Mr. Dazzio is admitted to practice in all state and federal courts in Alabama and before the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
• Alabama Bar Association
• Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
• Defense Research Institute
• Institute of Makers of Explosives (IME) — Legal Affairs Committee Member
Reported and Notable Current Cases and Representative Clients
• Obtained defense verdict in Wilcox County, Alabama in favor of a logging company involving serious injury arising out of a plaintiff’s collision with a log truck.
• Obtained defense verdict in favor of a national rental car company in United States District Court in Birmingham, Alabama for claims asserted pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act. Tierney v. Alamo Rental Car.
• Obtained defense verdict in favor of a bank located in Cullman, Alabama for claims asserted by a commercial borrower for unfair lending practices and seizure of collateral
• Obtained defense verdict in favor of hospital in Huntsville, Alabama in a medical malpractice case involving the death of a patient
• Represented national client in the negotiation of a ten year agreement for the annual supply of 700,000 to 800,000 tons of industrial grade ammonium nitrate.
• Successfully defended insurance carrier in an appeal of a lower court legal ruling relating to a $500,000 consent judgment between the carrier’s insured and the plaintiff. Federated Mutual Insurance Co. v. Abston Petroleum, 967 So.2d 705.
Born in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Mr. Dazzio moved to Birmingham upon completion of law school and is a founding member of the firm. He is married with five children. Mr. Dazzio is involved in his local community, including by serving as president of the Vestavia Hills, Alabama Parks and Recreation Board and serving on a committee for the planning of improvements to city facilities