Joseph L. Kerr, Jr.
Joe Kerr’s practice is devoted to civil litigation, with an emphasis on mass torts, fiduciary duty, and commercial litigation. He frequently counsels clients on matters arising out of the mining and quarrying industry. Specifically, his practice often concerns controversies related to contract disputes, nuisance cases, mineral rights, product liability, and ownership disputes.
On matters of insurance coverage, Mr. Kerr is experienced in providing coverage opinions to the firm’s insurance clients and he has obtained numerous summary judgments in defending claims of bad faith. Mr. Kerr has also successfully prosecuted bad faith claims on behalf of corporate clients who are involved in coverage disputes.
As a part of the firm’s appellate practice, Mr. Kerr has litigated issues before the Alabama Court of Appeals, the Supreme Court of Alabama, and the 11th Circuit Court of Appeals. As part of the firm’s arbitration practice, he has arbitrated matters in both Alabama and Georgia.
Before law school, Mr. Kerr worked as a registered representative in the Private Client Groups of Merrill Lynch and CIBC Oppenheimer in New York City. These prior experiences have proven valuable in assisting the firm’s clients with both prosecuting and defending business torts and other matters related to commercial litigation.
Raised in Florida, Mr. Kerr is a class of 1999 graduate of Washington & Lee University. He lives in Birmingham with his wife Ashley, a non-profit consultant who focuses on affordable housing initiatives.
• Licensed to practice in all Federal and State Courts in Alabama
• Licensed to practice in all Federal and State Courts in Tennessee
• Licensed to practice by the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals
• Alabama Bar Association – Federal Court and Commercial Litigation Practice Sections
• Tennessee Bar Association
• Defense Research Institute
• Admitted Pro Hac Vice in Texas and Mississippi
News, Honors, and Awards
• Rated AV “Preeminent” by Martindale Hubbell
• Named as a “Rising Star” in litigation practice by SuperLawyers
• Was named a Senior Editor of the Alabama Law Review while attending The University of Alabama School of Law
Reported and Notable Current Cases and Representative Clients
• Co-Lead Counsel in obtaining a seven-figure arbitration award for a Tennessee corporation, with an additional award of all attorneys fees and expenses, in a matter against a large multi-national corporation in front of the American Arbitration Association in Atlanta, Georgia.
• Co-lead counsel in a certified class action based on derivative clams for breach of fiduciary duty
• Co-lead counsel in successfully defending a jury trial involving a seven-figure breach of contract dispute on behalf of a large, multi-national corporation
• Successfully defeated a claim to enjoin the operation of a rock quarry and cement plant on behalf of a foreign corporation
• Has both prosecuted and defended wrongful death claims in multiple counties across Alabama
• Has successfully obtained numerous summary judgment dismissals in defending claims for bad faith against insurers
• Has successfully resolved bad faith claims arising out of Commercial Liability Policies on behalf of corporate insureds
• Has successfully appealed cases involving personal injury, commercial disputes, and workers’ compensation
• Has successfully recovered settlements totaling eight-figures during the last two years on behalf of businesses and families both inside and outside of Alabama
• Successfully had a jury award reversed and remanded by the Alabama Supreme Court on the basis of contributory negligence as a matter of law